The following master plans govern the form and place of development within Creekside: The name was proposed by Alfred Grant, who relied on Rex Ingamells` Australian Aboriginal Words (Melb 1955), which said that “Kawana (Q)” meant wildflowers. Grant (1917-83) launched early land liberations. The credit crunch forced him to withdraw and kawana Estates Pty Ltd of Hooker Corporation continued the project. Grant had also persuaded the government to assign suburban names (Buddina, etc.) along the Kawana Waters coast, and these names came into play when subdivisions were released. Access was provided by the Frank Nicklin Way (1965), built by the developer under the terms of the agreement. The project included the construction of all sub-departmental civil engineering work on Kawana Island and Lake Kawana. These Lensworth developments have been widely recognized as quality flatshares. Elements of major infrastructure were part of the development, including two five bridges, five kilometres of road for the Main Department and a system of salt pumps to replenish the water of the marine system each month. The 2014 Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme identifies an area within Kawana that in the Development Control Plan 1 – Kawana Waters.
In accordance with the provisions of Development Control Plan 1 (DCP-1), the development of land within the TERRITORy of the CPD must follow the planned community development process. The Council must approve a number of master plans for the development of individual sites or districts. Kawana Waters is an important development on the Sunshine Coast, which extends north from Caloundra to south of Mooloolaba. The development includes a 2.5-kilometre-long recreational lake, two bridges, a navigable canal connected to the Mooloolah River, a lock and defence system, five kilometres of underground roads, numerous partial roads, approximately 1,200 residential lots and a large main salt-raising system. In addition to the work for Lensworth, further work has been completed for the Caloundra Council in the form of a number of football fields near the lake. The Community Development Strategy [3280KB] identifies the community organizations needed to meet the needs of the DCP-1 area and provides a framework for the development of these facilities. These key cards are open in the Council`s MyMaps interactive map system. Expand the view to identify the master plan numbers and click on the master plan areas to get a direct link to the master plan. These master plans contain information on land use and permitted development criteria. Kawana`s master plans are hierarchical and provide agricultural councils with different directions in assessing individual developments. All developments must be consistent with DCP-1, structurally and all relevant master plans. During World War II, the area was used as a shooting range.
In the late 1950s, Landsborough Shire Council and Queensland Government, along with Alfred Grant Pty Ltd, owner of a small adjacent lot, closed a development centre for their common land (3826 Acres).